Year in Review — 2020
2020 was a weird year for us all, but here's everything that I was able to do this year anyway:
At the beginning of 2020, I set out to redo my personal website. I was fairly impressed with how I’d built it (over-engineered and such), and also with how my blog post — which was a big motivation for revamping my website in the first place — had started to take shape. After months of work (and procrastination), I published my blog post in late November.
I'd planned quite a bit for its release, but that still didn't prepare me for the sheer number of people who read my blog post — between all three platforms that I posted on, over 15 thousand checked out the post!
Here's what I wanna say to you — if you've got that one article that you've been sitting on for weeks/months, get it out there! You'd be surprised at how many people find it intriguing :)
There's tons of great content on Twitter if you're following the right people — I realised that in a year without much physical interaction with people, Twitter is a great outlet for thinking out loud; I got loads of feedback and motivation from people. Heck, I even got a job interview just because I was following someone who posted about it! The highlight of it all was getting followed by @Netlify and @cassidoo!
Working from home (for so long!) was a first for a lot of us, but in addition, I also:
- Got a chance to speak at a conf for the first time (which got postponed to March '21 😭).
- Got to play in VR (thanks @Remote!) It is one thing to read up and/or watch LTT videos about it, but nothing prepares you for the moment when you get to experience it firsthand.
- Took part in Advent of Code, albeit I could only keep up for nine days; You can find my solutions here.
- Got more into mechanical keyboards.
- Started doing the New York Times Mini Crossword almost regularly.
- Treated myself for 2020 with the Sony WH-1000XM4.
- Released Karma — a custom theme for VS Code, and I'm so so proud that it was good enough for 2500+ people to install it!.
I'm not great at keeping resolutions, but I came up with a list of things that I hope to do in 2021:
- Become better at fullstack develop and build an app, no matter the size.
- Learn in public.
- Help more people learn how to code (and get better myself).
- Be more consistent with posts on my blog and my newsletter.
- Hopefully get to speak at offline events and also conquer my stage fright (or whatever's left of it).
- Get better at CSGO (reach out to me if you wanna play along with me!).
Improve my Remote work setup (should have some updates soon!)I received my setup! You can also check out my /uses page!.
Last updated: January 17, 2021
No views yet. Wait what, HOW? 🤔